How to Know if an Air Duct Needs Servicing
Many homes in Cedar Rapids, IA, rely on central heating and cooling systems. These systems rely on air ducts that channel hot or cool air from a central unit to all the different parts of the house. While air ducts seldom need maintenance, it’s important to know when one needs replacement or repairs. This blog will discuss signs of air duct issues and information about duct repairs and replacement.
Signs the Air Ducts Need Repairs
Homeowners should consider calling a ductwork repair or replacement professional if they notice the following signs that air ducts need to be repaired or replaced:
- Uneven cooling or heating throughout the home
- Strange noises, such as hissing
- Bad smell coming from the air vents
- Poor airflow
- Mold growth
- Increased energy bills
- A sudden insect or rodent infestation
Repairing a damaged air duct could be as simple as patching a leak. In other cases, the entire ductwork may need replacement. A professional can assess one’s HVAC system and air ducts and explain what areas need attention. Repairs and replacements are best left to the professionals. Without experience and knowledge, a homeowner risks causing more harm than good when undertaking air duct repairs or repairs on the heater or air conditioner.
The Benefits of Air Duct Replacement
Nobody should have to deal with poor indoor air quality, high energy bills, and other complications that arise from damaged air ducts. When homeowners call on a professional to make the necessary replacements, they can benefit from the following:
- Reduced energy costs: If an air duct is punctured, blocked, or leaking, this could cause the HVAC system to work overtime, leading to above-average wear-and-tear and high energy bills. New air ducts are also more energy efficient than their older counterparts, which will help further reduce energy costs.
- Better indoor air quality: New air ducts are better suited to deal with pollutants and allergens in the air that can worsen respiratory problems. Homeowners can enjoy improved indoor air quality by replacing old air ducts.
- Quieter operation: When air ducts are leaking or damaged, the air moving through them can make unusual sounds like hissing or whistling. Old, inefficient ducts can also amplify noises like clangs as air moves through them, but replacing the ducts with modern, well-insulated options can help to muffle the sound.
How Air Ducts Are Repaired
Air duct repair methods depend on what issues arise. Yet, some common fixes include:
- Removing damaged insulation and replacing it with new material, usually fiberglass
- Patching leaks or holes with a sealant
- Removing any mold around the vents
- Removing debris from inside the air ducts
- Replacing sections of damaged or corroded ductwork
Before attempting repairs, an HVAC professional will first diagnose the problem by examining the ductwork. They may do this with specialized equipment or by relying on their expertise. Then, their findings will dictate what repairs are best to fix the problem.
About Master Plumbing, Heating, & Cooling
Master Plumbing, Heating, & Cooling has over 30 years of experience serving Cedar Rapids, IA, and the surrounding areas. They provide upfront pricing, same-day service, and tailored options. Call them today for award-winning AC and heating services in Cedar Rapids, IA.