There are some steps you can take to ensure the health of your water heater.
One is to flush your water heater once a year. Rust, calcium, and sand builds up in the heater, which reduces its efficiency and drives up your costs. Here's how you can flush your water heater:
- Set your water heater to the vacation setting.
- Turn off the cold water supply line.
- Connect a garden hose to the drain.
- Open a hot water faucet somewhere in the house.
- Place the other end of the garden hose over a floor drain.
- Open the valve that the garden hose is connected to.
When the water heater has finished draining, then:
- Turn the valve off.
- Disconnect the garden hose.
- Turn off the hot water.
- Turn cold water supply back on.
- Set the water heater thermostat back to your preference.
If you don't feel comfortable flushing your water heater yourself, just give Master Plumbing a call and we'll take care of it for you!